Being disciplined with what you eat is probably the biggest test of self control. It’s easy to stay on track when you’re the only one in control of what comes past the front door, or where you’re going to eat out next, but that is rarely the case.
Anyone who follows me on Snapchat (@niamhos21) will know that cupcakes and bagels are all too common in my office, and you will also have seen the mountain of food that my boyfriend Conor brought home last night! It’s so difficult to refuse the treats and indulgences when they’re sitting right in front of you and smelling amazing, especially if you end up being the only one who is saying no. No one likes feeling like the odd one out!
I think it’s important to try and bear in mind each day that you have a goal, and all of the small decisions really will impact your progress. Here is a few tips for being disciplined with what you eat…
- Indulge every now and again, but know when enough is enough – I think it’s particularly important for your sanity to allow yourself a treat every once in a while. Depriving yourself of every opportunity to enjoy some good food will just lead to binges down the line.
- Be prepared with your own treats – If it’s a birthday in the office, why not whip up some treats yourself to offer the group instead of making continuous eye contact with the cupcakes before giving in. My raw brownies, clean rice crispy squares or quinoa bars would be perfect as a healthier alternative.
- Don’t stand there empty handed – If you’ve gotten to the point where you’re fighting every temptation and you’re going strong, grab a coffee or a bottle of water and hold tight so your hands don’t start making their way towards the sugar!
- Check the menu ahead of time – If you’re in the position where someone else is booking dinner, don’t be left panicking in the restaurant when you can’t figure out what is the healthiest option. Also, don’t forget that most restaurants will double up a starter to make it big enough for a main course, and you can always add a side of veg if you think you’ll be tempted by the fries on the table!
- Remember… – Remember why you are avoiding the treats or bad food, and also remember how you felt the last time you fell off the wagon. The feelings of defeat after a big binge are not fun at all, and better off avoided so try to bare them in mind.
Photos by Edelle Kenny Photography
My outfit here is from Lululemon, there’s a store a few blocks from me and I am absolutely obsessed with their stuff – such good quality! I hope it’s not too obvious how freezing I was in these photos haha!
Have a great week,