Good morning everyone! Ok SO, as I mentioned in my last post, last weekend was a busy one and full of recipe testing. Every couple of weekends, I spend the whole of Saturday and Sunday in the kitchen and this weekend was actually such a huge success! I’ve decided that from now on, every single Thursday, you can expect a #ThursdayTreats blog post. So first up, we’ve got some “Guilt Free Snickers!”
My friend Lorna started doing something similar on her blog, (Friday Five) and I found myself really looking forward to reading them each week. I definitely have become a bit more relaxed on my website lately, and have been trying to put more effort into my social media. But at the end of the day, the social media platforms are evolving every single day I literally can’t keep up! My actual website/blog is always going to be the hub for all of the content (I hate that word, it’s so overused) that I put out. I need something to make me more accountable in this space. So what better way to force myself to regularly share more recipes than a promise here and now that each week on Thursday you will find a clean eating healthy treat that you can try over the weekend if you like. I will also be posting regularly on Mondays with other fitness/lifestyle posts.
Speaking of Lorna, I had no idea what to name these bars. She is insisting that they taste really like the classic Snickers bar but minus the guilt. Therefore “Guilt Free Snickers” was born, haha!
So here you have it, my Guilt Free Snickers bar.
(Just a quick word about the measurements, I literally got one coffee mug and used the same one for each ingredient. I didn’t weigh them out individually because you honestly don’t need to be too strict on a recipe like this – I was also winging it! One mug will do the trick and you can play around with the ingredients. BUT, if you would prefer me to just always weigh things out then let me know. I was about 6 months here without a weighing scales so I just got used to measuring with my trusty cup.)
- 1 cup of cooked quinoa (cooled)
- 1 cup oats (I used Flahavans Quick Oats)
- 2 tablespoons of chia seeds (totally optional. You could also use flaxseed, or coconut, or whatever you have in the cupboard!)
- 1/2 cup of peanut butter (you could try almond butter either)
- 1/2 cup of almond milk (or water if you have no milk)
- 1/4 cup of agave/honey/maple syrup - I used honey
- 1 handful of chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180 Celsius
- I put the oats, chia seeds, and quinoa to a large bowl and mixed it up
- I then threw the rest of the ingredients in and combined well (I was seriously playing a guessing game here)
- I then added the chocolate chips
- I then lined a baking tin with parchment paper, greased it with a teaspoon of coconut oil
- Smooth out the mixture evenly so that the bars are about an inch thick
- Bake for 20 minutes at 180
- Remove after 20 minutes or leave about 5 minutes extra (keep an eye on them!) to get them a little crispy around the edges
- Cut into bars and allow to cool
See you next Thursday for another DELICIOUS recipe 🙂