Hello and welcome to the first Foodie Friday of 2018. I’m kicking it off with this delicious porridge bread recipe.
I wish I could, but I can’t take credit for this one. This is my aunty Mary’s recipe. She gave it to my Mum who has been making it for years. It’s so delicious and nutritious and I honestly couldn’t recommend trying it highly enough. I don’t know if I’ve mentioned this before but Flahavan’s was started by my great (x5) granddad many moons ago, and my uncle John is now running the show. It’s something that I’ve never really mentioned on here before but I sometimes forget that it is pretty cool to call Flahavan’s the family business!
If you haven’t already had a nose around their website, you’ll find a tonne of great recipes over there. They’re all super healthy and use oats in so many different ways. Definitely worth a look.
Anyway, on to the star of the show! The healthiest brown bread you’ll get your hands on this January!
- 330g of Flahavan’s Progress Oatlets
- 500g of Natural Yogurt (I use Glenisk)
- 1 teaspoon of bread soda
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp of mixed seeds (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of treacle (optional & to taste, this will make it slightly sweeter)
- Place the yogurt, beaten egg and treacle in a bowl and mix well.
- Mix the oats, bread soda, seeds and salt in a separate bowl, add to the yogurt mixture and stir thoroughly.
- Place in a greased or parchment lined 2lb loaf tin, sprinkle with oats, and bake at 180C / 350F / Gas mark 4 for 30 minutes.
- Lower the temperature to 150C / 300F / Gas mark 2 and cook for a further 30 minutes.
If you do try this recipe then let me know what you think of it!
PS. Don’t forget to catch up on my YouTube videos from this week, one was about saving money, and the other about editing Instagram photos!
Thanks for reading,