So I decided over the long weekend to give my blog a good Spring Clean! I’ve totally changed the layout and design, and couldn’t be happier with how it turned out! What do you think? I’m definitely someone who gets extremely restless if I’m not kept busy, which can be good or bad! I think in this case though, it’s good to mix things up every now and again, and who doesn’t love a good makeover?!
I feel as though when I’m juggling a lot of things at once, the thing that always gets neglected for me is food. Working full time, trying to enjoy New York, keeping up with friends, phone-calls home, Gossip Girl (essential), my little blog, and the gym are just some of the things that I’m trying to balance every day. The last thing I want to do before bed each night is whip up a batch of healthy snacks to keep me ticking over for the following few days (even though I always regret not doing it!). However, now I’ve got the easiest and really high protein snacks that I’m delighted to have in my bag for my afternoon snack today!
I’m using quinoa as my base for this snack. Quinoa is a great source of protein, and I wanted a high protein snack without using actual protein powder – so this works out perfectly! I’m using desiccated coconut and dates to sweeten and bind the mixture, so it’s a totally refined sugar free recipe, as usual 😉
- 1/3 cup of uncooked quinoa
- 2/3 cup of water
- 3/4 cup of pitted dates
- 1/3 cup of desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup of almonds
- A few squares of dark chocolate to decorate
- Boil the water and add to a saucepan with the quinoa
- Simmer on a very low heat for about 15 minutes or until the water is fully absorbed
- Place to one side for a couple of hours until fully cooled
- Cover your cup of dates with a drop of boiling water for 5 minutes until they soften
- Add the almonds and coconut to your blender and blend until you get a flour consistency
- Drain the dates, and then add them to the almond and coconut mix in a large bowl
- Add in your quinoa and mix everything well (if the mixture is too dry - add a splash of water!)
- Shape into the size you want and place on a baking tray
- Melt the chocolate and drizzle over the bars
- Place in the fridge for 1 hour until nice & firm
- Store in the fridge
If you try these Snap me (niamhos21) or tag me on Instagram (@niamh_osullivan). These shots were taken by the extremely talented Edelle, I’m so happy to be working with a photographer that can really make my food look Insta-worthy! 🙂
Enjoy the rest of the week!